New Page 1

Welcome to the KELLS TRANSPORT MUSEUM

IRELANDS OPERATING BUS MUSEUM - 2008 - 300+ BUSES

PERU RAILWAYS - PERURAIL - FCCA - YAURICOCHA - CERRO DE PASCO - ENAFER
CUSCO AND SANTA ANA RAILWAY - HUANCAYO AND HUANCAVELICA RAILWAY
FERROCARRILL ECUATORIANA - E.N.F.E. - GUAYAQUIL & QUITO - ECUADOR RAILWAYS MOROCCAN RAILWAYS - HARZER-SCHMALSPUR-BAHNEN
CZECH RAILWAYS - SLOVAK RAILWAYS - ROMANIAN RAILWAYS

IRISH RAILWAYS - FFESTINIOG RAILWAY - GREAT ORME TRAMWAY

CHALKS OCEAN AIRWAYS - ISLAND HELICOPTERS - CZECH AIRLINES
SWANSEA CORK FERRIES - DEELIS TURF POWER STATION

RAILWAYS OF AUSTRALIA - ECUADOR - NEW ZEALAND - PERU - TASMANIA - SOUTH AMERICA
CLICK HERE

CORK AIRPORT LIVE FLIGHT ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES
CLICK HERE
Also details of the Cork Airport Scandal

THE CRICH TRAMWAY MUSEUM LEYLAND RALLY - JULY 2008.

This years Leyland Rally held at the Crich Tramway museum in Crich, Derbyshire was by any standards an outstanding success with excellent weather. The following photographs were taken and show the variety of vehicles on display and the amount of effort that went into having them, without exception, in pristine condition.

1913 53.30.T Reg. HE 12 Chassis No. S253/1020
Engine: Leyland 53.3Ohp 4 cyl Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1913 Brush 27-seat S/D “Combination Car” (Ash frame/Timber panelling)

This is the oldest surviving full-sized British single decker bus. It was new to British Electric Traction Co. subsidiary Barnsley & District Electric Traction Co, as an experiment with a fleet of 20 buses, which lead to the replacement of the entire BET tramway network with buses. The body has many tramway features in terms of its design and was finished to a very high standard as will be seen from the interior woodwork and paintwork, complete with the BET “Magnet & Wheel”. After withdrawal from service it became a static caravan and over the years became built into a house. After the purchase of the vehicle had been secured for preservation, the house had to be demolished to allow the bus to be removed. It was then subject to a comprehensive restoration over a four year period and was completed by Mike at his home near Dunstable in 2006. Entered by Mr. M.A. Sutcliffe M.B.E. of Totternhoe, Beds.

1927 Lion PLSC1 Reg. KW 474 Chassis No. 45532 Engine: Leyland 5.1 Ltr 4 cyl Petrol Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual Body: 1949 Leyland 31-seat S/fl bus (Ash frame with Steel panelling) One of the first privately preserved buses, KW 474 was purchased by the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society in 1959 from Jersey Motor Transport who had been using it as a driver training bus. The vehicle was new to Blythe& Berwick of Bradford in 1935 and passed to West Yorkshire Road Car in the early 1930s. It then passed to Jersey and was given the registration J 6825. After retum to the mainland it has been restored as a replica of Lincoln Corporation Lion No. 1 which was an identical vehicle. Entered by the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society of Lincoln.

Another View

Engine

Drivers Area

Inside

1913 53.30.T Reg. LF 9967 Chassis No. S209/954
Engine: Leyland 53.3Ohp 4 cyl Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1913 Birch 36-seat Open top fl/fl bus (Ash frame/Mahogany panels)
Ordered by The New Central Omnibus Co, London, just prior to their take-over by the LGOC, the bus was diverted to a new operation in Wellingborough run by Ben Richardson. Wellingborough MOC later became United Counties, and when the bus came to the end of its useful life it was sold to the Wellingborough Sewage Works where it became a store shed. It is one of only two surviving “Second Generation” motorbuses outside London, these being built with larger bodies and to a much lighter specification than the earlier buses of the 1903-09 period. Birch Bros, the builders of the body, were famous coachbuilders of the time as well as running their own buses. Restoration of the bus was completed in 1991. It has the “L” head engine introduced by Leyland in 1909 and ahead of its time. Entered by Mr. M.A. Sutcliffe M.B.E. of Totternhoe, Beds.

Makers Plate

Another View

Side View

Engine


Drivers Area

Inside

Another View

Rear View

Instructions to Drivers

Two old warriors.

1921 G7 Reg. RD 209 Chassis No. 12301
Engine: Leyland S19/5.36hp 4 cyl Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed Manual
Body: 1921 Dodson 32-seat Convertible “Charabns” (Ash frame, aluminium panels) An exhibit at the Olympia Commercial Motor Show in October 1921, and shown on the Christopher Dodson stand, this was a novel combination of a saloon bus with electric lighting and a charabanc, where the Mahogany-framed side windows are all removable and the canvas roof folds up to a central beam. The idea was a limited success and was soon overtaken by the all-weather coach design in the mid 1920s. It was sold after the Show to the United Counties Omnibus Co. (Ben Richardson again!) and ran in service until 1929. When found in Irthlingborough, Northants, by Mike in 1977, it was a garden shed with a roofbuilt over it which had protected it from the elements. It had previously been used as a static shop and was plumbed in for water, gas and electricity! It was a difficult rescue having to demolish a wall and winch the bus sideways around a brick-built outside loo, but was accomplished without any problems and was exchanged for a caravan! Entered by Mr. M.A. Sutcliffe M.B.E. ofTotternhoe, Beds.

1924 LBS Reg. XU 7498 Chassis No. 12920
Engine: Leyland 519/5.36hp 4 cyl Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1924 Dodson 48-seat Open top DID bus (Ash frame, aluminium panels) Chocolate Express was the first and most famous ofall the London “Pirate” operators of the 1920s and early 1930s, being legislated offthe road in 1933/34 and merged into the London Passenger Transport Board. The body was a standard design for London, where the Police were very backward and thought that windscreens and headlights were very dangerous and banned them for buses; they even didn’t allow roofs on double deckers as they thought that they would be top heavy and fall over! This bus was originally on solid tyres and was converted to pneumatics in 1930. Its derelict remains were found on a farm near Norwich and rescued by Mike in 1 984 in the same week as the Todmorden G restoration was finished —just at the right time to start another! It was completed in 1987 and has since won many awards, as have all of Mike’s buses. Entered by Mr. M.A. Sutcliffe M.B.E. of Totternhoe, Beds.

Rear View

1923 SG7 Reg. DM 2583 Chassis No. 12535
Engine: Leyland E36hp/2c, 36/50hp 4 cyl Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1923 Leyland 40-seat Saloon S/fl bus (Ash frame, aluminium panels)
Brookes Bros (t/a White Rose Motor Buses), Rhyl, North Wales, first started running charabancs in 1912 and the fleet grew to just under 100 buses and coaches. This was one of a number of the large-capacity Leyland SG7s operated by the firm and they were massive vehicles at the time — nearly 3011 long and with 40 seats and dual entrance. The saloon accommodates 39 people in two compartments (smoking and non-smoking) and the 40th person sits next to the driver — no doubt popular with young boys. It became a static caravan in Lancashire and when rescued by Mike it had been set on fire by the fanner the day before and its remains were still smouldering! However, enough survived to be restored and the bus took to the road again in 1996. Note the Police Watch Committee licence plates on the back and full length luggage rack. When compared to modem buses, this is a real “dinosaur”. Entered by Mr. M.A. Sutcliffe M.B.E. ofTotternhoe, Beds.

Rear View

1946 Titan PD1/1 Reg. LEV 917 Chassis No. 461011
Engine: Leyland E181 7.4 Ltr 100 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1946 Alexander 59-seat DID open-top bus (All-metal construction)
One of 50 early post-war Titan PD1s with standard Leyland metal framed “Hybridge” bodies that were built by Alexander in Scotland under sub-contract from Leyland. The bus was new to the City Coach Company of Brentwood, Essex as their first double decker. It passed to Westcliffe-on-Sea Motor Services when they took over City Coach Company and then to Eastern National in 1954, following another takeover. Fleet number 1112 was allocated by Eastern National who converted it to open-top in 1958 for service at Southend-on-Sea where it ran until withdrawn in 1965. The bus was purchased directly from Eastern National by the current owners who have used it for trips which have taken it as far apart as Greece and Portugal. Entered by the Springhill Vehicle Preservation Group of Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

1948 Titan PD2/1 Reg. GWU 12 Chassis No. 472953
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1948 Leyland 53-seat DID bus (All-metal construction)
Todmorden Joint Omnibus Committee was one of Leyland’s most loyal customers and built up a highly standardised fleet of 38 Leyland PD2 lowbridge buses. All of Todmorden’s vehicles were specified with Leyland bodywork to lowbridge configuration due to a height restriction in the Millwood Garage. The design was about 12 inches lower than the standard double deck design and its upper deck had a characteristic gangway on the offside of the vehicle. This vehicle carried fleet number 2 and entered service with that operator on 1st January 1948. By the time it was withdrawn from service in 1971, No.2 had covered 800,000 miles around the Todmorden area. It was donated to the Todmorden Antiquarian Society who owned it until 1997 when it passed to the current owner. Since that time a major restoration has been carried out to the condition it is displayed in today. Entered by Mr. D. Powell of Sittingbourne, Kent.

1949 Titan OPD2/1 Reg. NEH 466 Chassis No. 493181
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1954 Northern Counties 53-seat Lowbridge D/D bus (All-metal construction)
NEH 466 was delivered new to Potteries Motor Traction, Stoke-On-Trent on 13th December 1949 and was one of a batch of24 vehicles. As a chassis intended for export, these vehicles were too long to be fitted with a double deck body for the UK market and so were fitted with single deck B35F bodies by Metro-Cammell-Weymann. The entire batch lost their bodies to post war AEC, Leyland and Guy chassis and in 1954 they were rebodied by Northern Counties with 53-seat lowbridge double deck bodies. NEH466 was given fleet number L466 and operated mainly from Hanley and Stoke garages. It became a part-time training vehicle in 1965 and then was used full-time for training from 1966. It entered preservation in January 1977 when it was offered to the Potteries Omnibus Preservation Society for the sum of £10. It was repainted by P.M.T. for the Jubilee Cavalcade through Hanley and it currently carries the livery of the 1959 — 1964 period. This is one of only two surviving OPD2/1 “export” Titans in the UK, the other is sister vehicle L453 which is at Canvey Island. Entered by The Potteries Omnibus Preservation Society of Stoke-On-Trent.

1984 Tiger B43 Reg. CUI 841 Chassis No. 8401270
Engine: Leyland TL11 11.1 Ltr 245hp Diesel; Gearbox: ZF 6 speed manual
Body: 1984 Duple Carribean 51-seat S Coach (Steel frame with steel panelling)
Delivered new to Ribble Motor Services in 1984, this vehicle was originally registered B149 ACK and was used on the ‘Rapide’ services between the North West and London. The coach was purchased from Fosters Coaches of Hetton le Hale in 1995 by the current owners who still use it in daily service. The body has been completely restored including sections of new framing, new panels and locker flaps before a complete repaint. Entered by Mr. K. A. Wilkinson of South Shields.

1936 Cub KPZ2/1 Reg. HE 7538 Chassis No. Not Given.
Engine: Leyland 8.6 Ltr Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1936 Roe 24-seat S/D bus (Ash frame with steel panelling)
HL7538 entered service with West Riding Automobile Services in Wakefield in 1936 and then moved to Anglesey in 1949. It became well-known in the aged hands of Mr. E. Prichard who drove it regularly in service for the next twenty years, until he reached the age of 84. It passed to Hollis of Queensferry in 1969 where it was robbed of many of its components until it was bought for preservation in 1979 by Pat Smith of West Bromwich. Restoration work started but made slow progress. The stripped down vehicle was then stored for the next twelve years until it was purchased by Emertons of Nantwich who completed the restoration. Entered by Mr. G. Emerton of Nantwich.

1970 Leopard PSU3A/4R Reg. VUB 396 H Chassis No. 7000732 Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed semi-automatic Body: 1970 Plaxton 53-seat S Coach (Teak/steel composite construction) This Plaxton bodied Leyland Leopard coach has been operated by the current owners for 20 years and the decision was taken four years ago to fully restore it. The famous livery of Wallace Arnold, who operated a large fleet of Leyland coaches over many decades, was chosen for the vehicle. Entered by West End Travel ofMelton Mowbray

Drivers Area

Owner

Immaculate Inside.

1965 Leopard PSU3/3R Reg. CDK 448 C Chassis No. L24371
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 5 speed manual
Body: 1965 Harrington 49-seat S/D Coach (Ash frame with aluminium panelling)
This example of a Leyland Leopard chassis is fitted with a Grenadier body by the well-known coachbuilders Thomas Harrington Ltd of Hove. It was delivered new to Ellen Smith Coaches of Rochdale in 1965 and has been restored to its original livery by the current owner. Entered by Mr. B. Rogers of Bewdley, Worcs.

1958 Titan PD2/30 Reg. DJP 754 Chassis No. 581260
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1958 Northern Counties 61-seat D/D bus (Steel panelling)
New to Wigan Corporation Transport in November 1958 with bodywork by local coachbuilder Northern Counties, DJP 754 was one of the last WCT buses to be supplied without platform doors. It carried passengers in Wigan until 1971 before becoming a driver training bus. Although ownership of Wigan’s fleet passed to Greater Manchester PTE in 1974, this bus did not receive the PTE standard livery but retained its maroon and white livery throughout its operational life. Now in private ownership but the vehicle has been a part of the collection at the Museum of Transport in Manchester since 1980. Entered by Mr. Heaton of Leigh, Lancs.

1984 Atlantean AN68/1R Reg. B 926 KWM Chassis No. 8400183
Engine: Leyland 0.680 11.1 Ltr 150 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed semi-automatic
Body: 1984 Alexander 77-seat DID Bus (Alloy frame with steel panelling)
Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive took delivery of this vehicle, the last registered standard Atlantean bus chassis, in September 1984. Initially based at Litherland Garage, it was then transferred to Laird Street Garage in Birkenhead, by which time it was owned by Merseybus. Ownership then passed to Arriva Buses before being withdrawn in 2001 The bus is now owned by The 201 Bus Group who also own the first production Atlantean, Wallasey No. 1 , FHF 45 1 . Entered by The 201 Bus Group of Wallasey.

1983 Olympian B45 Reg. ANA 8 Y Chassis No. ON572
Engine: Leyland TL11 11.1 Ltr 150 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 5 speed automatic
Body: 1983 Northern Counties 75-seat D/D bus (Alloy frame with aluminium panelling)
The former Bristol Commercial Vehicles plant at Brislington built 995 Olympian chassis and this is chassis number 572. It entered service with Greater Manchester Transport in July 1983 as fleet number 3008 and carried a GM standard Northern Counties all-alloy body, operating from Stockport Garage. This is one of a minority of Olympians fitted with the Leyland TL11 engine. It was bought by the well-known Leyland operator Delaine of Bourne in March 2001 and operated as fleet number 132 until it was finally withdrawn in March 2008. The vehicle then passed into preservation with the current owner after nearly twenty five years of revenue earning service. Entered by Mr. N. Wilson of Warrington.

1988 Royal Tiger Reg. MAZ 7584 Chassis No. RTC87-11
Engine: Leyland TL11 11.1 Ltr 260hp Diesel; Gearbox: ZF 6 speed manual
Body: 1987 Leyland Doyen 49-seat S Coach (All steel body)
The Leyland Royal Tiger was a comparatively rare coach and this example was new to Abbots of Leaming and was registered D904 FHN. It was then sold to Fletchers of Malton where it was driven by the owner of the company. That company re-panelled and re-trimmed the coach and re-registered it with the current number plate. The coach was purchased by the current owners from Fletchers after it had been standing for a year. It now leads a semi-preserved life and is used for occasional private hire duties. Entered by Harrogate Coach Travel Ltd.

1947 Tiger PS1 Reg. JRA 635 Chassis No. 461136
Engine: Leyland E181 7.4 Ltr 100 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1947 Crossley 32-seat S/fl bus (Steel frame with aluminium panelling)
This is one of a pair of Leyland Tiger PS1s with 32-seat Crossley bodies that were delivered to Chesterfield Corporation in 1947. They carried the same design of bodywork as a large batch of Crossleys and four AEC Regals also delivered to the Corporation. JRA 635 served with the Corporation as a PSV until 1964 when it was transferred to driver training duties, which it carried out until 1972. It then went into preservation and had several owners before restoration was commenced in the late 1990s under the ownership of Mr. David Gambles who had the exterior repanelled and repainted. It was acquired by T. M. Travel in 2006 and since that time the interior has been refurbished, including the seats and a replacement floor. Entered by T M. Travel of Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

1948 Tiger PS1 Reg. HD 7905 Chassis No. 480750
Engine: Leyland E181 7.4 Ltr 100 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1948 Brush 34-seat SID bus (Composite construction)
A batch of 75 similar vehicles was delivered to Yorkshire Woollen District in 1948 but this is the only survivor. They were built to the early post-war BEF (British Electric Federation) design that was supplied to many other operators belonging to that group. These vehicles had a short design life and after only six years twenty four of them were rebodied as double deckers, the remainder being withdrawn soon afterwards. The vehicle remained in passenger service until 1960 when it passed to the driver training unit and eventually to the engineering department for use as a towing wagon and gritter. It was sold in 1969 for scrap but was soon rescued for preservation. However, no work was carried out on it until it was acquired by the present owners in 1990. Over a twelve year period, a major mechanical overhaul was carried out, followed by a body rebuild and repaint by Gordon Brooke and the late Tom Gibson. Entered by Dr. G. Brooke of Leeds.

1967 Titan PD3A/12 Reg. LJF 16 F Chassis No. 702272
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 semi-automatic
Body: 1967 East Lancs 74-seat DID bus (Metal frame with aluminium panelling)
One of the final batch of front-engined rear-entrance vehicles to be ordered by Leicester City Transport which entered service on 4th September 1967. The vehicle received a second maroon livery band in 1971 but this was changed to three bands in 1981 when the vehicle was taken into the workshops for a full body overhaul, including a complete new rear bulkhead, new platform and staircase. The vehicle continued in daily service until it was withdrawn, along with all the other remaining Leicester City Transport PD3 ‘s on 2nd October 1982, the last day that rear-entrance buses ran in service. It was retained by Leicester City Transport for use as a private hire vehicle but by the late 1980s was acting mainly as a reserve to Leicester City Transport’s already preserved Leyland PD2/1 (FJF 193) that was often used to attend rallies all over the country. Mainly due to lack of use, 16 (LJF 16 F) fell into disrepair and was left out in the open at the Abbey Park Road site. In 1995, the owners ofLeicester City Transport, Grampian Regional Transport, agreed to sell the vehicle to the current owners. From that time, slow progress was made on the much- needed restoration to restore the vehicle to its former glory. Work continues to this day and at the end of2005 the vehicle received new panels and a full exterior repaint. Entered by The Leicester Vintage Bus Society.

1949 Titan 6RT Reg. KLB 908 Chassis No. 496243
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Wilson 4 speed pre-selective
Body: 1949 Leyland 56-seat D/D bus (All-metal construction)
As with many London buses of its generation, bodies were exchanged between chassis at overhaul and this bus started life as RTW245 (chassis) and RTW141 (body). The chassis and body were united at overhaul in 1957, becoming RTW178 which operated from Clay Hall depot. In 1959, this depot was closed and the vehicle moved to Bow garage to work the central London routes. Its final overhaul at Aldenham was in 1961 , after which it moved to Putney garage. It was sold by London Transport in 1965 and joined Stevensons of Uttoxeter, becoming No. 11 in their fleet. Platform doors and saloon heating were fitted by the new owners for its intended role in rural Staffordshire on services to and from Burton upon Trent. It is believed that No. 11 was the last RTW to remain in public service and had worked for twenty eight years when it was retired into preservation. After restoration, the bus was rallied for a few years until the owner at that time, Tony Sewell, was sadly killed in a road accident. The new owner has carried out other mechanical and body repairs and it is now preserved in Stevensons livery as an example of an ex-London bus with its subsequent operator. Entered by Mr. T Stubbs of Burton upon Trent, Staffs.

1947 Titan PD1A Reg. DDR 414 Chassis No. 463028
Engine: Leyland E181 7.4 Ltr 100 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1947 Weymann 53-seat DID bus (All-metal construction)
Built in 1947 for City of Plymouth Corporation who were a loyal Leyland customer for many years, DDR 414 had fleet number 114 and is unusual in having a Weymann body of lowbridge design. The design of body was required due to low railway bridges in the Plymouth area at that time and it is understood that Leyland were unable to meet the required body production dates in the hectic post-war years. This bus is believed to be the only surviving PD1 with a Weymann body. Entered by Mr. R. Armour of Derby.

1938 Cub Reg. ARD 157 Chassis No. 200497
Engine: Leyland 4.7 Ltr 29.4 hp Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual.
An interesting example of a Leyland Cub which has a coach built horsebox body that was constructed for the Earl of Derby by Vincents of Reading, a company that were pioneers of horsebox building. The construction features ash framing with pine boarding and carries three horses and four grooms. The current owner purchased the vehicle in 1973 whilst he was still at school! Since that time, it has been fully restored with the help of Albert Vaughan, a skilled carpenter. It was returned to the road in 1996 in time for Leyland’s Centenary celebrations. Entered by Mr. N. Woodward-Sheath of Henley-in-A rden.

It could have been almost one hundred years ago! Four vintage fronts.

1971 Leopard PSU3/3R Reg. RSD 732 J Chassis No. 7003130
Engine: Leyland 0.680 11.1 Ltr l8Ohp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1975 Alexander 53-seat SIB Bus (Steel frame with aluminium panelling)
RSD 732 J was delivered new to Western SMT, Millken depot as fleet number ML2341 and had an Alexander dual purpose body with coach seating. In 1975, it was burnt out and subsequently rebuilt with the 53-seat bus body that it carries today. Shearings purchased the vehicle for use as a driver training bus. It then passed to Timeline who used it in service before selling it to Andy Sharpe in 1999 as a restoration project. During his ownership, the vehicle was restored back to its original livery as you see it today. It was purchased by the current owner in August 2007. Entered by Mr. J. Stainburn of Castleford.

Rear End.

1951 Titan 7RT Reg. LYF 104 Chassis No. 510599
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Wilson 4 speed pre-selective
Body: 1951 Park Royal 56-seat DID bus (All-metal construction)
Leyland Motors built 1632 Titan chassis to London Transport specifications. The specification included a fluid flywheel, air operated pre-selective gearbox and full air braking system. Other features were incorporated to facilitate interchangeability during overhaul with the RT class which used the AEC Regent III chassis. The wheelbase was extended to 16’ 4”and the steering column mounted in a more upright position. The Leyland chassis were given the vehicle type RTL — the L designating a Leyland engine. When new, this vehicle had fleet number RTL 1163 and was based at Walworth Garage as a tram replacement vehicle. It moved to Stockwell Garage in 1955 and was withdrawn in 1963 to be sold for spares. The bus has been restored by the current owners as it would have looked on its last day of service in 1962. It also attended the Crich event in 2001 to celebrate 50 years of the Last London Tram. Entered by Mr. 1 Cousens of Newton Abbott, Devon.

1949 Titan 7RT Reg. KGU 4 Chassis No. 491072
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Wilson 4 speed pre-selective
Body: 1951 Metro-Cammell 56-seat D/D bus (All-metal construction)
RTL554 was built in 1949 and was one of almost 7000 “RT” type vehicles built for London Transport between 1939 and 1954. With ever increasing car ownership by the late 1950s, there was a surplus of these buses in London and many were sold for use elsewhere in the UK and abroad. The RTL type, being non-standard, was withdrawn first and by the early 1960s many had already been removed from service. Considerable numbers were exported to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) and served for up to 20 years throughout the island. Some also went to South Africa but only a few remained in the UK. By 1966, the last service buses were withdrawn and a few were retained as training vehicles. RTL554 was sold to Acrow Engineering in London for use as staff transport and was used by them until it was sold for preservation in 1972. At that time, the vehicle was in a poor state but has been restored over many years. The interior was refurbished in 2005/6 and the exterior repainted in 2006, the period adverts are typical of those carried in the 1950s. Entered by Mr. I. Macbeth of York.

1957 Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 Reg. PUJ 781 Chassis No. 577966
Engine: Leyland 0.401 6.54 Ltr l4Ohp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 5 speed manual
Body: 1957 Burlingham Seagull 41-seat S/D coach (Ash frame with aluminium panelling)
The Leyland Tiger Cub was a popular lightweight coach and bus chassis and this example w delivered new to Whittle Coaches of Highley in 1957. It remained with that company until it was retired from service in 1980. The vehicle was purchased by the current owner in 1990 and returned to its original condition as seen today. Entered by Mr. B. Rogers ofBewdley, Worcs.

1952 TD4 Rebuild Reg. OKP 980 Chassis No. JCB 209
Engine: Leyland E181 7.4 Ltr 100 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: Beadle 35 seat S/fl Coach (Aluminium construction)
During the years following the Second World War, bus operators were in urgent need to replace their war weary vehicles, whose lives had been extended through the war years and often maintained to minimum standards as spare parts were unavailable. The coachbuilders John C. Beadle of Dartford in Kent developed a scheme to manufacture new integral single deckers utilising recycled mechanical components from pre-war double deckers. The original chassis were cut into 3 sections around which the new coachwork was built to the newly permitted length of 30 feet. A total of 209 vehicles of this type are reported to have been built and almost all of them were supplied to subsidiary companies of the British Electric Traction (BET) Group, one of the major bus groups of the time. These vehicles had relatively short lives with the BET companies and withdrawals from these fleets began in the 1960s. They then passed to independent operators, with whom they would give reliable service for a number of years. This particular vehicle passed with two other ex-Maidstone & District Beadle rebuilds to J. H. Thomes of Bubwith. Its sister vehicles were scrapped in 1969 but OKP 980 continued in service until 1971 when it suffered a major engine failure within days of the expiry of its Certificate of Fitness. The bus was withdrawn from the fleet and left in open storage. In 2000. a major restoration was undertaken by Preston Bus on behalf of the current owners to return the vehicle to the condition that you se it in today, including the fitment of a brand new Leyland E181 engine which was disc6vered in a packing case where it had been stored since being refurbished by the MOD in 1947. OKP 980 is one of only 5 known surviving Beadle rebuilds and is the only Maidstone and District example. Entered by Mr. P Thornes of Selby, North Yorkshire.

1955 Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 Reg. MMR 553 Chassis No. 553503
Engine: Leyland 0.375 5.76 Ltr Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1955 Harrington 41-seat S Coach (Alloy frame with aluminium panelling)
New to Silver Star of Salisbury in July 1955, No.26, this vehicle was used extensively on troop carrying duties until it was withdrawn in June 1963. On take-over ofSilver Star it was then sold to Wilts and Dorset, but not used, and was immediately re-sold to Westem National and then to Deebles of Upton Cross from whom it was purchased by the current owner in 1980. It is now preserved in its original Silver Star livery of silver and red. Entered by Mr. D. Dawes of Dewsbury, W. Yorks.

1948 Tiger PSi Reg. EAS 956 Chassis No 473263
Engine: Leyland E181 7.4 Ltr 100 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1948 Crossley 32-seat S/D bus (All-metal construction)
Blackbum Corporation Transport was the original customer for this Leyland Tiger PS1 which was registered BCB 340 when new and given the fleet number 7. It was purchased by Jones Intemational Coaches in 2004 and has been retumed to full P.S.V. roadworthiness and is used for special occasions. Entered by Mr. M. Jones of Llandeilo

1965 Leopard PSU3/3R Reg. ARN 811 C Chassis No. L24610
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1965 Weymann 42-seat S/D DP Bus (All-metal construction)
One of a batch of vehicles delivered to Ribble Motor Services in 1965, fitted with the 0.600 engine and 4 spee€I manual gearboxes, to be used on express and inter-urban duties. Withdrawn by Ribble in 1978, the vehicle passed to the well-known Bamsley scrapyard of the Paul Sykes Organisation. It was then sold to C and H Coaches of Fleetwood in 1979, who operated it until it was purchased by Philip Deegan for preservation. The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust acquired the vehicle in 1999 and has completed a full mechanical and body overhaul over a seven year period. It returned to the road in 2006 and has been rallied regularly by the Trust. Entered by The Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust of Chorley.

Delightful street scene.

1914 S4.36.T3 Reg. CC 1087 Chassis No. 5568/1627
Engine: Leyland S4.3óhp 4 cyl Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed (Helical gears)
Body: 1914 Leyland 32-seater “Torpedo” Charabanc (Ash frame, aluminium panels)
Delivered to the London & North Wegtem Railway three weeks before War was declared, it was used to open a service in Colwyn Bay, North Wales, to take wealthy mill owners from their mansions to catch the “Club” trains to Manchester. It was then requisitioned by the War Office and used for troop transport. Found in a derelict garage in south London it had to be completely dismantled and each part taken out through a window to rescue the Leyland. The only part that was too big was the chassis frame, so this was cut in half and welded together again afterwards. The word “Char-a-bancs” comes from the French “carriage with benches” and the “Torpedo” design was the ‘in thing” just before WW1, when torpedoes were the latest weapon. It is one of only two surviving railway-owned buses, the railway companies having played a major part in the development of bus services. Restored by Mike Sutcliffe 1996 to 2000. Entered by Mr. M.A. Sutcliffe M.B.E. of Totternhoe, Beds.

The genius who so beautifully restored the Leylands - Mike Sutcliffe himself.

1929 Lioness LTB1 Reg. DM 6228 Chassis No. 50261
Engine: Leyland 6.1 Ltr Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1929 Burlingham 26-seat S[D All-Weather coach (Ash framed body)
DM 6228 was originally operated by Brookes Bros (White Rose) of Rhyl and Prestatyn until that company was taken over by Crosville Motor Services in 1930. The vehicle was later exported to Jersey and operated for Jersey Motor Transport. During the German occupation of the island, the vehicle was hidden in a bricked-up tunnel to prevent it being used by the occupying forces. It was retumed to the mainland in 1958 by the West of England Transport Collection. Repainted by Leyland Motors to celebrate their 80th Anniversary, it was used to transport the beauty queen in the procession of the celebrations. The present owner has used the vehicle for many years and it is displayed today in its original livery ofWhite Rose. Entered by Mr. RStanier ofGravesend, Kent.

Herself and her good neighbour.

1969 Panther PSUR/1A Reg. ENU 93 H Chassis No. L24371
Engine: Leyland 0.680 11.1 Ltr 180hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed semi-automatic
Body: 1969 Northern Counties 49-seat SLD Bus (Steel frame with aluminium panelling)
Chesterfield Corporation bought 10 Leyland Panthers which entered service in September 1969 and this vehicle is one of that batch. The vehicle continued in service with Chesterfield Corporation until 1980 when it was transferred to the training fleet. Little is known of the history of the vehicle between the sale by Chesterfield Corporation in 1989 and its purchase for preservation in 2005. The bodywork has only required minor attention before it was repainted into Chesterfield Corporation livery. Entered by Mr. L. Roddis of Chesterfield, Derby.

1953 Comet 90 Reg. STB 662 Chassis No. 534458
Engine: Leyland 0.350 5.7 Ltr 90 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
5TB662 was supplied new to Lancashire County Council in 1953 and used for tar spreading until 1972 when it was sold to the road surfacing company of William Wilson & Co. who were based in Glasgow. It then worked on both the mainland and the Isle of Arran. It was restored by the current owner over a two year period and returned to the road in 1995. It was repainted in 2001 in the livery of the London Brick Company as a replica of the only Comet in their famous fleet. Entered by Mr. D. Wrigglesworth ofDonington, Lincs.

1958 Titan PD2/30 Reg. DJP 754 Chassis No. 581260
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Body: 1958 Northern Counties 61-seat D/D bus (Steel panelling)
New to Wigan Corporation Transport in November 1958 with bodywork by local coachbuilder Northern Counties, DJP 754 was one of the last WCT buses to be supplied without platform doors. It carried passengers in Wigan until 1971 before becoming a driver training bus. Although ownership of Wigan’s fleet passed to Greater Manchester PTE in 1974, this bus did not receive the PTE standard livery but retained its maroon and white livery throughout its operational life. Now in private ownership but the vehicle has been a part of the collection at the Museum of Transport in Manchester since 1980. Entered by Mr. Heaton of Leigh, Lancs.

1983 Olympian B45 Reg. ANA 8 Y Chassis No. ON572
Engine: Leyland TL11 11.1 Ltr 150 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 5 speed automatic
Body: 1983 Northern Counties 75-seat D/D bus (Alloy frame with aluminium panelling)
The former Bristol Commercial Vehicles plant at Brislington built 995 Olympian chassis and this is chassis number 572. It entered service with Greater Manchester Transport in July 1983 as fleet number 3008 and carried a GM standard Northern Counties all-alloy body, operating from Stockport Garage. This is one of a minority of Olympians fitted with the Leyland TL11 engine. It was bought by the well-known Leyland operator Delaine of Bourne in March 2001 and operated as fleet number 132 until it was finally withdrawn in March 2008. The vehicle then passed into preservation with the current owner after nearly twenty five years of revenue earning service. Entered by Mr. N. Wilson of Warrington.

1931 Lioness LTB1 Reg. HY 1801 Chassis No. 51555
Engine: Leyland E12 8.8Ltr 49.8hp Petrol; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
Equipment: Reece Roturbo 700 gpm Centrifugal Pump
Delivered in May 1931, HY 1801 served for 35 years in the Bristol Fire Brigade and was one of the few Fire Service vehicles never to be painted grey for wartime duties. Subsequent owners have included English China Clay Quarries, who used her to pump out flooded pits and the Lex Group who were Leyland agents for many years. She was sold by auction at Crewe to a garage in Kent and eventually passed into preservation. The current owner has restored the vehicle over the last 12 years and attended many shows and events. These include 30 performances at the Royal Tournament and awards on the London to Brighton Commercial Vehicle Run for three consecutive years. Entered by Mr. D. Berry of Swindon.

Another View.

Stephen, Ross and Michael with Leyland Beaver.

1950 Beaver 12B.1 Reg. GFU 741 Chassis No. 501409
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 5 speed manual
This vehicle was supplied new in 1950 to ‘D. E. Langton’ who used it to transport cattle for 17 years before it was laid up in their yard. It was restored in 1987 and has attended shows ever since. It was purchased by Mr. Robinson in 1998. Entered by Mr. Robinson of Halifax


1965 13C/3R Comet Reg. DOW 504 C Chassis No. L51638
Engine: Leyland 0.370 6.0 Ltr 110 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 6 speed manual
Little is known of the history of this lorry. It was bought from a scrap yard by the current owner in 2000 and has been restored by him and his two nephews. During their ownership, they have researched into the history of the vehicle and discovered that it was supplied new to Wellworthy pistons, a company that supplied Leyland for many years. Entered by Mr. C. A. Garlick of Buxton.

1984 Landmaster 12-15 Reg. C 865 SRB Chassis No. Not Given
Engine: Leyland 698 5.8 Ltr 150 hp diesel; Gearbox: Turner 5 speed manual.
The Landmaster was developed by Leyland as a replacement for the export WF model and intended for African and other export markets. The range used many in- house components from the Bathgate range of trucks, including the 698 engine and G-cab. This particular model is left-hand drive and was originally intended for export but never left the UK for unknown reasons. It was purchased as a bare chassis by the current owner in 2007. Entered by Mr. B. Cowdil ofBolton, Lancs.

1934 Beaver TSC9 Reg. ABP 481 Chassis No. 5244
Engine: Leyland 5.7 Ltr 4 cyl Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
An example of an early Leyland Beaver, this vehicle has been restored to represent the large number of Leylands operated by the famous haulage company W. H. Bowker Ltd. When the Bowker vehicles were nationaIised by the Road Haulage Executive in 1949, the company fleet was 85 strong, the majority of them being Leylands. ABP 481 was acquired by W. H. Bowker Ltd in 1998 and has been the subject of an extensive restoration to return it to the livery used by the Company in the period immediately prior to nationalisation. Entered by Mr. K Baron of Bamber Bridge, Lancs

1968 Badger Reg. BVG 51 E Chassis No. L63050
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 140 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Thornycroft 6 speed manual
Little is known of the history of this particular vehicle before it was purchased by the current owners except that it is believed to have been new to Calor Gas Transport. It is powered by the Power-Plus version of the 0.600 engine and is fitted with a 2- speed axle. Entered by Knowles Transport of March, Cambs.

1975 Buffalo 3BU510/32ATRF Reg. CTC 464 M Chassis No. 7500067
Engine: Leyland 0.510 8.2 Ltr 240 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Fuller 9 speed manual
The Leyland Buffalo was fitted with the last variant of the Ergomatic cab used on tractor unit designs by Leyland. The cab was mounted higher on the chassis than previous designs and used the turbocharged version of the Leyland 500 fixed-head engine design. This particular vehicle was restored by its previous owner including an extensive cab renovation as part of the process. Entered by Mr. T Mason of Walsall, W Mids.

1962 Octopus Reg. 598 CYU Chassis No. 622781
Engine: Leyland 0.600 9.8 Ltr 125 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 6 speed manual
Delivered new to the ‘Esso Petroleum Company’ in 1963 as a tanker, this was one of the last of this particular model type to be registered as the replacement model fitted with the LAD cab was already in production at Leyland. This vehicle has a 1962 chassis but did not enter service until 1963 as there was a delay in the production of the tank for the vehicle. No subsequent history of the vehicle is known until it was purchased for preservation in 2000 from a coal yard in London where it had been used as a static tank. Restoration started in 2005 and took 2 years to complete. The work included fitting a 6 speed gearbox for a more relaxed cruising speed and improved fuel economy. Entered by the Pyatt Brothers of Cheadle, Stoke-on-Trent.

1962 Octopus 24.0/9 Reg. 496 GXC Chassis No. 629542
Engine: Leyland 0.680 11.1 Ltr 200 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 10 speed manual
Supplied new to the ‘Shell-Mex’ subsidiary company ‘Power Petroleum’ in their green livery, this Octopus was used from the oil terminals in the Medway area of Kent. In its later years, it was repainted into the yellow and white colour scheme of Shell-BP. It then passed to a Showman, Stan Cubbins, of Poulton-Le-Fylde who used it for many years. It was purchased for preservation in 1995 and restored over a four year period as a platform and trailer in the livery of the famous Leyland users of T. Brady & Sons Ltd. of Barrow. Entered by Mr. R. Stevens of Telford, Shropshire.

1953 ECO2I1R Comet 90 Reg. RWE 101 Chassis No. 534113
Engine: Leyland 0.350 5.8 Ltr 90 hp Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
RWE 101 was first registered by Sheffield Corporation Transport and used as a recovery vehicle but also to carry temporary bus and tram stops for the large football matches held at the Bramall Lane and Hillsborough grounds in the city. It also used to visit Leyland on many occasions to collect and return engines for reconditioning. The Comet passed to South Yorkshire Transport , who replaced original body with one built by their apprentices in 1985. The vehicle then passed to the First Group who put it on permanent display at Sheffield Bus Museum. Entered by Mr. P H. Adams of Stafford.

1932 Badger TA4 Reg. RF 9571
Engine: Leyland E9/C 4 Cylinder Petrol; Chassis No. 1162
Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
This lorry was new to Mr. William Proudman of Tamworth, Staffordshire in 1932 and he operated it for 30 years and claimed to have covered one million miles during that period. The lorry was used for the transportation of animal feed, fertilisers and other agricultural requirements which included collecting and delivering goods to ports in Northern England. Later in the 1950s and early 1960s, the lorry worked delivering asbestos sheets from a Tamworth manufacturer. In 1962, the lorry was traded in for a Leyland Comet 90 to Brownhills Motor Sales, Staffordshire who were the main Leyland dealer in that area. They used the lorry for promotions and as a show vehicle. On the demise of Brownhills Motor Sales, the lorry was purchased by the present owner who has completely restored it and takes part in rallies all over the country. Entered by Mr. P H. Adams of Stafford.

1932 Bull TSQ3 Reg. WG 1567 Chassis No. 226
Engine: Leyland E28 162N0 8 Litre Diesel; Gearbox: Leyland 4 speed manual
In 1933, T. Bernon of Falkirk were supplied with this Leyland Bull through the Glasgow depot of Millburn Motors as sales order 19181 dated 22nd November 1932. In 1934/5 the Bull was operated by the large Linlithgow haulage company of William Aitken. During the Second World War it was engaged in costal defence work on the Isle of Skye delivering concrete anti-tank blocks. After the War, it returned to William Aitken where it was rebuilt with a box body. In 1946 the Bull was sold to showman Robert Lovett for £1880 for whom it worked until 1947 when it went to a scrapyard in Bellshill. In 1975, it was purchased by T. N. Thompson for preservation and then by the present owner in 2002. John Kerr and Cohn Hepworth have completely rebuilt this rare early Leyland with some advice from the Pyatt brothers. Entered by Mr. J. A. Kerr of Wakefield.

Another View

1962 Octopus 24.0/4 Reg. 648 DXL Chassis No. 623320
Engine: Leyland 0.680 11.1 Ltr 150 hp Diesel; Gearbox: AEC 6 speed manual
Esso Petroleum Tankers of London were supplied with this Leyland Octopus in 1962 and it worked with them until 1967, by which time it was working from their Saltend Terminal in Hull. It was bought by George Charlton of Heden Road, Hull who converted it into a breakdown and winching lorry and used it until 1988. The Octopus then lay derelict until 1995 when it was bought by the current owner who restored it to represent a lorry operated by the well-known company Reader Bros of Hull. Entered by Mr. T Wilson of Beverley, East Yorkshire.

FOLLOWING ARE A SERIES OF PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE VARIOUS TRAMS OPERATING.